Friday, July 11, 2014

Blog Post #6

What Did I Learn From The Conversations With Anthony Capps?

I learned about different technological tools that will be useful in my classroom. Two of the tools that were highlighted were Discovery Ed and iCurio. Discovery Ed brings experts into the class via video. It brings different texts to life, and by doing so it tends to gauge students attention much more than just providing them with written texts. iCurio is an online tool that allows students to safely search websites that have been filtered for educational purposes. It has the ability to search texts, audio, and video. One of the features that Mr. Capps thought was very helpful was the storage capacity that allows students to stay virtually organized. iCurio also has a directory feature where you can search by criteria. both of these tools can be useful for all grade levels.

My understanding of project-based learning is much more clear now. When I hear project, I automatically think project boards and arts and crafts, but Mr. Capps showed me that there are many different types of projects, like the one he did with his students where they wrote a letter to the congressman explaining why women should or shouldn't be put in combat. I like his way of teaching and it makes me rethink what method of teaching i want to use. Project-based learning is growing on me. Also, I love how Professor Strange pointed out that being a teacher is not just about teaching. It's about learning as well and that is what makes this profession so enjoyable. Another thing I learned from watching these videos is that you don't have to be an expert in technology in order to incorporate it in your classroom. It's a learning process for the student as well as the teacher. And although I am not a big supporter of so much technology in the classroom, I now understand that it is necessary and there are ways you can use it to make your job easier, such as letting the students record what they learned or a summary of a story using iMovie. It's fun for the student and great teaching tool.
Technology in Education

No comments:

Post a Comment