Sunday, July 13, 2014

Blog Post #13

What Did I Leave Out?

I would have students look for different examples of educators incorporating technology in their particular field of teaching. For example, if I were a secondary math major, I would look up different ways to incorporate technology while teaching math. I am an elementary education major, but math is my favorite subject to teach and learn so I looked up videos of technology being incorporated in an actual classroom, and took notes of the different techniques used by teachers all over the world.

The first video I found was called Teaching Math with Innovative Technology. This video is of a junior high school math class who do teaching and learning much different than most classrooms. Mr. Fred Hennen has reversed the way he teaches. Instead of lecturing in the classroom and sending students home to do work without the help of the instructor, he records notes and lectures and the students watch them at home so that they have the whole class period to ask questions and actually work the problems from the lesson. He accomplishes this by using the screen capture function on the SmartBoard. Students log into a website called edline.com to access the notes. This video interviewed many students and asked how they felt about this "new way of teaching" and they all loved it. One student said, "You can work at your own pace and get ahead of the game." It seems like this method is a success.

The next video I saw was called K-12 Using Assistive Technology for Math and Science. It discussed actual technology tools that can be used in classrooms to assist students in learning. The tool that stood out the most to me was the math overlay for specialized keyboards. This type of assistive technology is used to solve math equations with the added bonus of audio feedback. I think this would help tremendously because so many students incorrectly solve problems wrong simply because they read the question wrong. I think this would be especially helpful for beginning readers or students who just cannot read on grade level.
Using Technology to Teach Math

No comments:

Post a Comment