Sunday, March 30, 2014

BLOG POST #9

What Can We Learn From Mrs. Cassidy?

Mrs. Cassidy teaches first grade and requires her students to write blogs once or twice a week. This approach to teaching is a great way to keep parents updated on their child's progress in school without having to wait for a parent teacher conference. They get to see the strides they are making in writing and all the comments on their child's blog left by people all over the world.
I think blogging is one of the most basic techniques used in classrooms today and should be used by all teachers at this point. I actually just got introduced to blogging this semester in EDM 310 and now I see the many benefits of it. It's a great way for teachers to stay connected to their students at all times and to really understand what level their on because we all know it is impossible to be a successful teacher without reaching out to your students outside of the classroom. The most obvious impediment I might encounter is students having access to inappropriate things on the internet. Besides having blocks on all computers, I would simply explain to my students the dangers of going to sites that have not been approved by me or their parents. Also, I would never leave my students unattended on a computer. Just as I would watch them while taking a test to make sure that they are not cheating, I would watch them on the computer to make sure they are only on the sites that have been approved.
The benefits I may encounter by using Mrs. Cassidy's approach have already been stated. Basically, blogging is a way for the teacher (me) to stay connected to their students and for teachers and parents to keep track of the students' progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment